Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Sending Christmas Presents From Nathaniel

Every year as a family we make shoe boxes to send overseas to kids in need with Operation Christmas Child. I collect stuff all year to put in them. Whenever I find a really good deal on something that would be good for them I buy a bunch and put it in a box in the closet. I was at the grocery store recently and they had carts of little girl's sandals for free. I got a bunch. They should fit some little girl. So into the box they went.

Before Nathaniel was born I had bought some presents for him for Christmas this year. In the collection are some books that are great for babies. They are made of special rip-proof paper  that is even washable. They are picture books. They have no words so should be great in boxes. It doesn't matter what country they will end up going to. They are now in the box.

Back to school sale season is here. There will be lots of great deals on school supplies for the next month or so. I will get a bunch of notebooks and pencils, markers and crayons, scissors and glue when they are cheap and they will all go in the box too.

I think I'm going to need a much bigger box this year. It's already overflowing with what I've collected so far and that's after I gave away some of the school supplies that were left over from last year to send to Guatemala with the team from church.

Want to help us send presents? You can make boxes yourself or you can collect stuff and give it to us and we can pool everything and make lots of boxes. Collection week isn't until November so you have lots of time. Last year I think we made 8 as a family. I don't really have a goal of how many to do this year, but I want to do lots and lots for Nathaniel. We won't be buying presents for him this year (or ever) so we can use what we would have spent to send love and hope and joy to little children around the world who don't have anything. If they get a shoebox gift it might be the only present that they have ever gotten in their life.

If you would like more information contact me using the form at the bottom of the page or go to the Operation Christmas Child website.

No comments:

Post a Comment