Monday, May 12, 2014

Accidental Author

If you know me in real life you probably know that I wrote a book for Abby about her baby brother. You have most likely seen it if you have see us in person in the last month or two. What you might not know is that I don't think of myself as a writer. I do not like writing, but in the days after Nathaniel's death words poured out of me, mostly in the hours that I was awake I'm the middle of the night or too early in the morning.

On Saturday I went to a seminar at my library about successfully publishing books. At the beginning of the talk it was mentioned that writing a book is something that everyone wants to do at sometime in their life. Nope. Not me. Until three months ago I didn't want to write a book. Even then I didn't want to do it. I needed to. There was nothing out there to help us explain to our three year old daughter that the baby brother that she was so excited about, and was told was coming, was not coming home with us. The words came to me. I believe they came from God. I had to write them down and now I need for them to be out there for other little girls and boys who won't be getting to grow up with the sibling that they have been preparing for for months.

I am not ready yet to put the work into getting the book published for real. It's just too overwhelming. I have made one for Abby with our pictures to go along with the words. For now that's enough for me. Someday it will be published and available to other grieving families. I now know the steps I need to take for that to happen and when I am ready I can start on that journey.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm looking forward to reading more about Nathaniel's legacy! I think about writing a book all the time, but for now I am sticking to Blogger. I think its a great way to get a story out there and to leave some footprints for our babies.

    ReplyDelete