Friday, June 20, 2014

Getting Struck By Lightning

We had a consultation with a MFM (maternal-fetal medicine) doctor the other day. My Ob had recommended that we go see one before getting pregnant again just In case there was something that we should do or some tests that should be done. I really didn't want to do it. I didn't have any questions, but she wanted me to so I called and made an appointment.

I was really nervous the day of the appointment. I didn't want to go at all.

We didn't really learn anything at this appointment. The MFM said that Nathaniel died because of a maternal-fetal hemorrhage. We already knew that. She told us that it was very rare, like being struck by lightning, and the chances of it happening to us again were very very small. All this we had been told before.

She had no problem with the timeline that my normal Ob had given us. That was reassuring. I thought that she might tell us we needed to wait longer.

Dave was concerned that since I had so much of Nathaniel's blood in my body that my blood had changed composition and that could cause it to attack a future baby so I had a blood test done while we were there. The test came back negative.

That's one less thing that I wouldn't have thought to worry about before that I won't need to worry about now. I'm sure I will find hundreds of other things to worry about though. I'm sure when we do get pregnant again I will be a mess the entire time. I am not looking forward to that. I didn't particularly like being pregnant the first two times. Now I get to add stress and anxiety. Fun.

2 comments:

  1. Yep I know that feeling... we've definitely been robbed of happy pregnancies. But I am glad that you can TTC again when you are ready.
    Also, I nominated you for a blogger award. Check out my latest post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I saw that. I will get to it, but it might take me a while. I have a lot to write about now after going to the Stillbirth Summit

      Delete