Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Golden Rule

Lately I get a lot out of the sermons at church. There is always at least a little something that is said that speaks to me and I try to apply to my life. Today was no exception.

Today the sermon was on the golden rule (Matthew 7:12):
12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

It was explained that in the passage Jesus is not telling us to not do things to other people that we wouldn't want them to do to us; He is telling us to go out of our way to treat people the best way that we can. We should love, value, affirm, encourage, support, care for, forgive, listen to, talk to, respect, understand, etc. in the way we would want them to do to me. We are to go out of our way to help.

I have been striving to do this lately. In the past 6 months I have been much more aware of the pain and suffering of those around me and I've tried to help in any way that I can, even if it's just telling someone that I've been thinking of them. It's a little thing, but I know how much that has meant to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment