Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Planting a Tree in the Snow

The doctors at my OB's office (there are six in the practice and I had to see them all) got us a tree for Nathaniel. They picked it out and the nursery was supposed to call us in the spring when it was time to plant it. One day in April I noticed that there were flags in our yard. Then I got a call from the nursery explaining that they had called to have the utilities flagged and that we needed to let them know where we wanted the tree planted.

Dave and I talked about it and decided that it would have to go in the backyard, but that we didn't want it to eventually shade the garden or be too close to the driveway so we decided to put it kind of close to the fence. I called them back and let them know that we had picked a spot for it. Nothing was said about when they were going to come plant it, but I told them that I was usually home so didn't think much of it.

A couple days later it snowed. I thought that meant we weren't going to get the tree planted. I was wrong. The next morning I got a call from the guy at the greenhouse. He said that the freak snow was the perfect time to plant a tree so he would send someone out that day to do it.

The guy showed up. Abby and I happened to be outside playing. He started digging and within 15 minutes he was gone and we had a beautiful new magnolia tree in our yard. It was even starting to flower.
One of the buds the day we got it.
Abby checking out Baby Brother's tree


It really flowered on Easter

2 comments:

  1. What an incredible gesture from your OB's office. The tree is beautiful! My OB's office has been wonderful regarding the loss of my boys, but this really does top everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The OB office has been great. Three of the doctors came to see me in the hospital. "My OB" came to see me a few times. I have been into the office three or four times since. Once was just to talk to "my OB". That day Dave came with me. We talked with her for over an hour. When we left the office had been closed for probably a half an hour.

    ReplyDelete